We stand with the protestors.
Talking about race and our privilege is uncomfortable – but a willingness to be uncomfortable is part of how we learn and grow.
I recognize that I, a white, cis, straight woman have more personal anti-racist work to do. I also recognize that I can do more to support and lift up voices of Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) around me.
I also recognize that we all need to take significant and meaningful anti-racist steps to ensure that no more BIPOC lives are lost. It is far too easy to read about the protests in the States and think that their problems don’t exist here but racism is a real problem in Canada. Our institutions and systems have normalized racism, and we all need to be part of the solution.
The Tare Shop has a large social media reach and has always been committed to using it to help raise awareness. So I would like to share some resources that I have used, or intend to use, to raise some important questions and issues for myself.
There is an event tonight (June 1 at 7:45pm in Halifax): Take a Knee to Make a Stand. Click here for the event page.
Every Seeker HFX is putting on two Anti-Oppression Workshops via Zoom, one on June 3 and one on June 10. Click here to learn more or to register.
This great resource document (filled with books and articles to read, podcasts to listen to and more) that was compiled by Sarah Sophie Flicker and Alyssa Klein: click here for the link.
This document was put together to address appropriative and problematic language, click here for the link.
Additional books I have read or are on my list:
- There’s Something in The Water: Dr. Ingrid Waldron
- The Skin We’re In: Desmond Cole
- Who Do You Serve, Who Do you Protect: Contributors include William C. Anderson, Candice Bernd, Aaron Cantú, Thandi Chimurenga, Ejeris Dixon, Adam Hudson, Victoria Law, Mike Ludwig, Sarah Macaraeg, and Roberto Rodriguez.
- Me and White Supremacy: Layla Saad
- White Fragility: Robin Diangelo
- Policing Black Lives: Robyn Maynard
If you have the means to donate here are some places in Halifax and beyond
- NEST Halifax
- Black Lives Matter Solidarity Fund NS
- New Horizons Baptist
- TheBlackPowerHour@gmail.com: supports incarcerated folks and black liberation work
- National Bailout
- Mutual Aid NYC
- Black Visions Collective
- Minnesota Freedom Fund
And so many more
Instagram accounts to follow
I hope you will join me in doing the anti-racist work necessary to help move us all forward.
Leave a comment