We love working with different local suppliers (in fact in 2021 60% of our suppliers were local)! We've been working with Shivani's Kitchen for a while now carrying some of their spice blends and wanted to share one of their recipes using the Vindaloo Spice blend!
But first, we thought it would be fun to share their story:
Founded in 2014 by Shivani Dhamija, who moved to Nova Scotia in 2011 to be with her partner Abhishek Asthana. Taking a chance Shivani created a Facebook page publicizing her Meal Delivery Service and got a tremendous response.
In 2015, she ventured out and joined the Farmers' Markets. Their first one was the Spryfield Farmers Market. They realized that meeting their clients and getting direct feedback was their roadmap to success!
Another opportunity presented itself to us from listening to the feedback from Shivani's Cooking Classes. Customers absolutely loved the classes but said they found it difficult to find the spices to prepare the meals at home. Understanding their customers, and sensing a need they launched Spice Blends in 2016. They initially started with our Garam Masala Spice Blend and added more blends!
Now to the recipe:
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 2 green chilies
- 4 potatoes (cut in quarters)
- 2 cups of broccoli
- 1 cup of bell peppers
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 cup beans
- 1 tbsp. cilantro diced
- 1 tbsp. Shivani's Kitchen Vindaloo Spice blend
- Optional (salt to taste)
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Once warm, add potatoes. On medium to high flame stir until they get browned on all the sides. Once half cooked, add cauliflower. Cook for 10 minutes on a low covered with a lid.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, (option to add salt), and Shivani's spices.
- And cover it with lid for 5-10 mins. Garnish with cilantro.
All Shivani's Kitchen Spice Blends are salt-free and gluten-free. Proudly made in Nova Scotia, Canada